- a malevolent female demon
- wælkyrian eagan = oculosgorgoneos
- a sorceress, a female witch
- her syndan wiccan & wælcyrian. (Wulfstan, Sermo ad Anglos, ca. 1015)
wæl – from the Old English – “death, slaughter”
cyrġe = variant of ceosan – “to choose”.
Old English also has the compound wæl-cēasega “raven”, literally “chooser of the slain”.
‘O wild and wondrous midnight,
There is a might in thee
To make the charmèd body
Almost like spirit be,
And give it some faint glimpses
Of immortality!’ *
- Midnight by James Russell Lowell